I would say, yes ....and no. There are "no new thoughts" Bryon Katie would say. She talks with people all over the world and they all say different versions of the same things...thoughts that limit their lives. Are you having thoughts that limit your life?
Stop it. Examine those thoughts and know they are lies, they are fear, they will separate you from whatever may be able to help you...be it energy, or other people, and even but most especially the power you yourself have.
You are an artist. Do what comes next.
5 x 7″
Oil, Charcoal, Encaustic on Bhutan Paper
Do race car drivers not race cars? Will a computer programmer work in a veterinary clinic? Does a horse trainer work in a corporation sitting in a cubicle all day in Manhattan?
Over the next few days I will give you some tips from other artists that I find really meaningful to me. I hope that you will enjoy them too.
Today's tips are from Lori McNee, a professional oil painter who specializes in still life and landscape painting.
5 Common Traits of Successful Artists:
- Art is the core of their lives. These artists wake up and go to sleep thinking about art. They carve out time in their day making art or marketing it. (In fact, for these artists, there seems to be no clear distinction between the creativity of making and marketing.) If they have a full-time job, it is secondary in their minds to art and mostly a means to and end. Their real job is being an artist.
- Successful artists understand how business works in the art world. Successful artists understand the entrepreneurial aspects of making a living as an artist. When they encounter something new or unusual on the business side, they investigate and learn to do it or delegate the task. They know the value of relationships and network in person and through social media.
- Successful artists have a strong work ethic. They manage themselves, their creative energy and resources. They balance the time to produce art and to market it. Whatever rhythm of working they choose, they stick to it. Whether these artists enjoy the business tasks or not, they know they must be done and they do them without complaint or resentment.
- Successful artists are resilient. They know that success does not happen overnight – it requires hard work. These artists understand that things don t always work out the way they expect. When they make mistakes, they focus on solutions, not on regrets. They learn from experience and experiment to improve on any success they have.
- Successful artists spend time only with people who are 100% supportive of their art career. They limit their time and emotional involvement with people who are negative especially about art as a career choice. If people close to them have the skills and inclination to be more directly involved in their art career, the artist can produce more and better. Successful artists do not allow unsupportive people to be an obstacle to their plans for success.
'Til then - hope your day is everything you wish for it to be.